DRBC Annual Meeting 2010 Report
The first annual meeting of the Driftless Region Bicycle Coalition was held on September 19, 2010, 6pm. The board and members gathered at the Myrick Hixon Eco Park conference room to hold elections, talk about what the DRBC has been up to and what we have accomplished. Awards were given out and members had an opportunity to ask questions and give their input. After the meeting there was food and a very enjoyable social time.
Two officer were elected unopposed to the Driftless Region Bicycle Coalition Board of Directors.
- Ed West is returning for his second term. Ed West is a founding member of the DRBC, is the primary coordinator of our bike rodeos and has been instrumental in the DRBC Bike to Work Week activities.
- Aaron Ottesen will be serving his first term on the board. Aaron has been serving on the Policy and Advocacy Committee as well as being a very active volunteer.
Aaron and Ed will take their board seats at the October board meeting and serve two year terms.
Year in Review
Board President Tim Keneipp gave a presentation on the formation of the DRBC, what the members have been doing and the success of the group over the last year. Some items of special note:
- In just seven months the membership of the DRBC has gone from zero to ninety-nine!
- The DRBC filed for WI corporation in March and we are almost ready to file for our 501(c)3 status, which will allow us to access many grants to move projects and campaigns forward.
- Advocacy efforts included a trip to Madison to testify before the Natural Resources board, efforts at the local levels and the new Complete Streets efforts.
- Also of note are the relationships we are building with local, state and national organizations.
- Highlights of our educational efforts include putting on or assisting with 5 bike rodeos, as well as giving out bicycle commuting and safety information at a lot of events.
- Bike to Work Week this year saw the miles logged more than double and we held events in both La Crosse and Onalaska, with more communities possible next year.
- Other events including the successful “Join the Cause” event were covered.
- Our Business Benefits Partners were also recognized.
The entire slide presentation is below (please be aware that there was more information given verbally during the presentation). Enjoy!
While not able to be in attendance, Board Treasurer Michael Barreyro provided an outstanding treasurer’s report that was summarized by Vice President Dan Novak for the membership. The report is attached here Some highlights of the report are that we have raised over $12K in in-kind donation and almost $4k in memberships, which includes several lifetime donations.
Board members gave a number of awards
Given to members of the Driftless Region Bicycle Coalition for outstanding service to the DRBC and its mission of “getting more people on bikes, more often”
- Cass Jens
- Connor Doyle
- Aaron Ottesen
The following business or organization has significantly demonstrated their support of the Driftless Region Bicycle Coalition and our mission to “get more people on bikes more often” through their material and moral support of our efforts.
- Blue Heron Bicycle Works (Onalaska)
- Bikes Limited (La Crosse)
Given to the individuals and members of the Driftless Region Bicycle Coalition who worked tirelessly over many months and some for years to make the dream of bicycle advocacy come true in the Driftless Region.
- Larry Kirch
- Ed West
- Scott Hoffman
- Dan Novak
- Mike Charron
- Michael Barreyro
- Rachel Hazuga
- Tim Hanson
- Gene Roberts
- Rick Diermeier