I found this info graphic on the cost of commuting by automobile. The numbers are a couple years old, but close enough to get the point.
Mayor Tim Kabat and the City Planning and Development Department will be holding a press conference on Tuesday, November 12th at 12pm on East Ave S between Jackson St and Johnson Street by Jackson Plaza to announce the city of La Crosse’s designation as a Walk Friendly Community. The city is encouraging everyone who is interested in bicycling and pedestrian issues to attend and learn more about the City’s efforts to improve walkability in our community. Below are links to the Walk-Friendly Website regarding La Crosse’s designation.
DRBC Annual Meeting Minutes – Wed October 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm at Pearl Street Brewery
II. Introductions – attendees included: Dan Novak, Michael Baker, Michael Barreyro, Jim Cavanaugh, Larry Kirch, Brian McCarty, Carolyn Dvorak, Bryan Law, Laura Black-Law, Scott Hoffmann, Carrie Melin
III. Report on DRBC Activities this past year
IV. Awards – SAG, Stoker
V. Explanation of Annual Meeting rules for elections
a. Motion by Larry Kirch, 2nd by Carrie Melin to elect Michael Baker as a new Director with Dan Novak, Scott Hoffmann, Michael Barreyro up for re-election to the Board, – passed
VII. Discussion of future goals/dreams
a. Bike – Ped Coordinator position City of La Crosse
b. Community Foundation Grant for an additional bike corral
1. Bikes Belong
4. City capital budget
VIII. Motion to adjourn by Michael, 2nd by Scott – 7:05 pm
Here is what DRBC has been doing for the community this last year October 2012 – October 2013:
Light up the Night event at UWL Eagle Rec Center, Oct 18
- Supported the 2nd Annual Bike Winter, (in conjunction with Wisconsin Bike Fed) various events between Feb 10 – Feb 23
- Supported a Winter Riding Tips Workshop/Fashion Show at Earl’s Grocery and Saloon, Feb 17
- Offered bike tips/education at Earth Fair at Myrick Park, Sunday April 21
- Supported Fitness Festival, Saturday May 4
- Assisted at Hamilton/SOTA Bike Rodeo, May 9
- Organized Bike to Work Week Saturday May 12 – Friday May 18
- Supported Summer Leisure Rides from the Wine Guyz
- Organized Bike Valet at RiverRest
- Celebrated the City of La Crosse construction of a bump-out for the Bike Corral on 4th Street
- La Crosse Public Library Bicycle Rodeo – Main Branch – Aug 2
- Family Ride trail ride and camping at Perrot State Park – Aug 17
- Bike Safety Rally – Franciscan Healthcare-Mayo Clinic Health System – Aug 31
Supported Bike Fest – Labor Day Weekend
- Continue to expand DRBC Business Partners Program – businesses that offer great
discounts to DRBC Members!
We’ve had a fun year of getting more people on bikes more often!!
DRBC Annual Meeting
Every Fall the Driftless Region Bicycle Coalition holds its’ annual meeting which is a great opportunity to bring the membership together, meet old friends and make new ones as well. It also offers members a great chance to ask board members questions and offer suggestions for future actions.
During the annual meeting the DRBC holds a business meeting where new board directors are elected and items that are to be voted on by the membership are put forth. DRBC members will receive a meeting notice 30 or more days before the annual meeting. Non-members are welcome to attend as well, but can not vote.
2013 Annual Meeting Notice
Place: Pearl Street Brewery, 1401 St Andrew Street, La Crosse, WI 54603
The DRBC Annual Meeting for all members is set for Wednesday October 23. At this meeting we will elect three directors of the board. This is your chance to serve on the Board of Directors. If you are interested in running, please write a short statement, up to 500 words, describing yourself and why you think you would make a good director. You can get on the ballot by attending the meeting and nominating yourself. At the meeting, you will be given a chance to speak. To be eligible, you must be in good membership standing and have been a member for at least three months preceding the election.
6:00pm Meeting begins
• Committee highlights of year’s accomplishments
• Award presentations
Voting rules (see Bylaws for more details):
• DRBC members vote on board directors
• Must be a member for at least 30 days prior to the date of the meeting
• Only one vote per family membership and only one vote per all other membership levels
• The candidates receiving the highest number of votes up to the number of directors to be elected shall be elected
• Absentee voting is allowed but cannot be delivered electronically. It can be delivered in person to the Secretary or any other board member or by mail and must contain the following information:
o The member’s name;
o The member’s current address and contact information;
o The agenda item being voted upon;
o The member’s vote;
o The members hand written signature.
o Absentee ballots will also be made available online with points to be voted on
• Board members vote on officers
Send all communication on this event to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Snail Mail absentee ballots to (or give it to a board member):
Attn: Absentee Ballot
Driftless Region Bicycle Coalition
P.O. Box 423
La Crosse, WI 54602